Wednesday 30 November 2016

The Readers - #5 The Christmasaurus

Is anyone else feeling festive yet, I know I am! With Christmas officially beginning for many of you tomorrow, I’ve decided to bring the fifth instalment of ‘The Readers’ forward a month and provide you all with even more seasonal cheer in the lead up to the big day!
 

With this two month reading block falling over Christmas, and our shared love (or perhaps just my obsession) for anything related to Tom Fletcher, we all mutually decided on ‘The Christmasaurus’ as our next book club choice. Breaking away from children’s picture books, this is Tom’s debut novel, which is aimed at younger readers. I managed to pick up my copy for £7 in Tesco, with other supermarkets doing a similar deal, but you may have better luck in general book stores as newer titles are added to the charts.
 
The story begins with a brief prologue, detailing the demise of the dinosaurs. Not particularly Christmassy in itself, but necessary for explaining the fate of a very special dinosaur egg! We are then introduced to a young boy called William Trundle, and his Christmas obsessed father, Bob. We learn that William is confined to a wheelchair, and has grown up without a mother after she died in the accident which caused his paralysis... but more importantly, we learn about William’s enormous love of dinosaurs!
 
The rest of the novel then follows William in the run up to Christmas, and gives us a taste of the problems he faces, especially being the focus of the new school bully. He longs for his very own dinosaur as a gift this year, even though he knows it’s unlikely to happen… Meanwhile, up in the North Pole, Santa becomes the new owner of the last remaining dinosaur on planet Earth, which was found by elves during ‘toy mining’! Tom has completely reimagined the whole process at Santa’s workshop, injecting a new burst of Christmas magic into a very old tale. When this new baby dinosaur finds himself stuck on Santa’s sleigh for the Christmas Eve sleigh ride, and subsequently stranded in Williams’s neighbourhood, William is thrown into a fantastic Christmas adventure! There’s villains, a chase, a journey of discovery and a twist which most kids (but not mums and dads) will never see coming!
 
Now I know this story is not particularly aimed at my age range, but I didn’t find that to be a problem while reading it. I was completely drawn in to the world of William Trundle, so much so that I was almost crying when the bullying was at its peak! Tom deals with some difficult themes, but I think he manages to perfectly explain them in a way children can understand. Working closely with the charity ‘Whizz-Kidz’, he also ensured that William’s disability was discussed in an appropriate manner, without being seen as something which necessarily hinders him on a daily basis.
 
The Christmasaurus is such a wonderful addition to the usual Christmas tales and I would recommended it to both children and adults alike! I’m still hesitant to give it full marks, but if I look at it from a child’s perspective, I would definitely give it 5/5! Lesley has not managed to finish this one yet, but I’m sure the others would agree with my rating – Sarahjane is even hoping that the film rights have been acquired by someone!

If you’re looking for an extra stocking filler for the kids this year, the Christmasaurus is definitely a winner! I know I will be adding it to our list of future Christmas traditions for years to come!
 
Our next novel returns us to the ‘grown-up’ world with Lesley’s choice of ‘I Let You Go’ by Claire Mackintosh. Join us again in early March, when we should have hopefully finished the next one!
 
Follow my blog with Bloglovin
SHARE:

20 comments

  1. The Christmasarus does sound like the perfect narrative for Christmas! I think my little sister would love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd read it again in a shot, shame I've got such a huge pile of other books to read! :)

      Delete
  2. The Christmasaurus sounds like a great Christmas stocking filler. R

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perfect for all ages, I'd even consider getting it for my mum! :)

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a great book! Sometimes I do wish I had kids and an excuse to buy this kind of thing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just go and pick it up for yourself - I took mine to Denver with me and loved reading it in the evenings! :)

      Delete
  4. I had no idea Tom Fletcher had written a book. Nice to have a new festive book to read to the kids, there's only so many times you can read the Snowman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's written a series of dinosaur picture books about a dinosaur who poops things - 'the dinosaur that pooped christmas' is another of our festive favourites :)

      Delete
  5. Love the name Christmasaurus definitely looking it up for my nephew

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure he will love it, there's something to keep everyone happy! :)

      Delete
  6. Aw this sounds amazing. I've never read any of Tom Fletcher's books to my little ones! I really should!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are some of the best and funniest kids books ever... plus they rhyme - what's not to love?! :)

      Delete
  7. This sounds like such a lovely book. I love the name too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is lovely, wish I could have my own cuddly Christmasaurus! :)

      Delete
  8. Oh what a lovely little book!! I wasnmt aware Tom fletcher was also writing books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is his first novel, but his picture books are hilarious, my son absolutely loves them! :)

      Delete
  9. This sounds like a great kids story and I we love his picture books already and I like the idea of a main character being disabled ... not that they're disabled but that the hero has a disability. A really positive image

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He worked very hard with the charity, so I'm pleased it seems to be so positively received - I can't wait to see what he releases next! :)

      Delete
  10. Want to get this for my boy, he loves the Dinosaur that pooped Christmas so this would be another hit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely a fantastic new adventure that I'm sure kids will love, especially if they are already fans of 'the dinosaur that pooped' series! :)

      Delete

© Tiggy Poes and Flutterbys. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig