Friday 27 May 2016

First Dates and Cupcakes

It was a difficult start to the week, Game of Thrones had ripped out our hearts again, my attempt to get a new job was rejected and man flu had reared its ugly head, making me want to crawl back under the covers and wish for the weekend – but before then, I had a much anticipated lunch date with the lovely Lis from Last Year’s Girl!


Lis has become somewhat of a celebrity for me, so I was incredibly nervous at the prospect of finally meeting her. With a blog spanning more than a decade, she has a huge amount of writing experience, while I feel like Bambi taking his first steps. Despite my newbie status, she has always been very kind and supportive, providing me with inspiration over the past few months. She was the first person to leave a comment on any of my blog posts, she was the first person to follow me on Bloglovin’ and she regularly provides me with little snippets of advice (such as recommendations for the best subscription boxes, cat related or otherwise)! When I wasn’t brave enough to grab her at a recent event, she didn’t hesitate to suggest we meet up for ‘tea and scones’ at my earliest convenience! Calming down from my little ‘fan-girl’ moment, I suggested we head out to Cup Tea Lounge in Glasgow City Centre.

Famed for their huge collection of tea and cupcakes, Cup offers a traditional dining experience in beautifully preserved, classical Victorian environment. If we’d had a longer lunch break, I would have suggested we indulge in their fantastic afternoon tea. Unfortunately, we only had time for a drink and a sandwich, and had to settle with a ‘takeaway cupcake’ for an office treat later.
 

After a few awkward pauses and me not knowing how to cope on this ‘friend first date’, the conversation flowed with ease - we even had to turn away a waitress twice because we were chatting too much to look at the menu! We eventually stopped long enough to make a decision and everything arrived not long after. Lis had the most interesting looking juice - apple rhubarb and cinnamon, served with slices of apple! I opted for a pot of ‘tablet in a cup’ tea, which arrived with a little timer set to go off when it had brewed long enough for the perfect cuppa! Both of us had some form of sandwich, and the conversation finally dipped while we took the time to stuff our faces!

Once tummies were satisfied and plates were cleared, the cupcake menu made its appearance. Lis opted for the classic ginger and orange cake (complete with solid lump of candied ginger), while I chose a tropical themed banana and coconut one. Neatly packaged in takeaway boxes and carefully stored away in our bags, we were reluctantly ready to leave the tea lounge and head back to our jobs.
 
 
My lunch date with Lis was such a great end to the week and made me forget all about the crappy start. Her bubbly personality and laid back attitude put you instantly at ease in her presence. We even parted company with a hug, a major achievement as I struggle to let anyone into my personal bubble! I’m so thankful that blogging has opened up this whole other world and provided me with the opportunity to meet new people.
 
I really hope this is the start of a brilliant new friendship – next time, cocktails are on me! ;)
 
Follow my blog with Bloglovin
SHARE:

6 comments

  1. So glad blogging has given you this opportunity - I felt the same when I started especially when I moved city and met a totally new group of bloggers! I have spoken to Lis a little and she really is an incredibly friendly person who made me feel welcome at the ScotBlogMeet event I first met her at! Hope you get to meet all the other lovely bloggers out there too :). P.s. those cupcakes all look amazing!

    Mairi x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cupcakes were amazing, I can't wait to go back! I know that there is going to be another ScotBlogMeet this year, so I'm looking forward to meeting more people at that! :)

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a lovely 'date' and that cupcake looks AMAZING ♥

    Jess xo | The Indigo Hours

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lovely 'friend date', but I was so nervous! Luckily, Lis is one of the loveliest people I have ever met, so we were soon chatting like old friends :)

      Delete
  3. Aw this is a lovely post. Its always great to meet new friends :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, and blogging is such a great way to meet people! :)

      Delete

© Tiggy Poes and Flutterbys. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig