Thursday 31 December 2015

Sisterhood of the World Blogger Award

A couple of nights ago, I was woken by the raging winds of Storm Frank and noticed I had been tagged in a tweet – OneDizzyBee had nominated me for the Sisterhood of the World Blogger Award! I’ve only been blogging for just over a month, so this came as a bit of a shock as I had no idea people were actually reading my ramblings! Therefore I’d just like to say a huge thanks for including me!
 
Photo Credit - Queering Through Life
 The Rules
 
Thank the blogger who gave you the award and link back to their blog
Answer the 10 questions given to you
Nominate 10 bloggers for the award
Write 10 questions for your nominees to answer
Display the award on your blog or post
 
My Questions and Answers
 
1. Why did you start blogging?
 
I blogged a little at uni (with some encouragement from Monika at around_academia) and really enjoyed it, so I thought I would give my own personal blog a go! I also have a very spread out family, with relatives across the whole of the UK and some in Canada, so I wanted a way to update everyone with events in my life. My Dad lives in Kenya (and I miss him loads), so I wanted him to see what I’m up to in more detail, rather than relying on Facebook to do it for me. Once I started, I really got the bug and I’m loving it! Blogging has also gone a long way to helping me with mental health issues that I’ve been struggling with recently.  
 
2. Where do you draw inspiration from for your blog posts?
 
I’m not sure where my inspiration comes from exactly, I guess I like to tell people about my life, especially when it’s something funny or something important. I got pregnant with my first child while I was still in high school, but I still pursued a university degree and scientific career. Bringing up kids is not easy, especially when you’re starting out as a teen mother, so I thought I would share my life experiences with others – if this helps anyone out, yay!
 
3. What’s the main goal you’d like to accomplish with your blog in 2016?
 
I’m just a newbie, getting views on a daily basis still feels like an amazing achievement for me! In my first month of blogging, I set myself a goal of 1,000 views (I got there), so I guess 12,000 views for next year would be great. Given my busy work schedule, I don’t want to put too much pressure on myself to post regularly – If I could achieve a goal of 1 post per week, I would be happy. At the end of 2016, I will look back on what I’ve achieved and base more goals on that.
 
4. When you’re not blogging, what’s your favourite leisure activity?
 
Both me and my partner are obsessed with the Xbox! Whenever we get a free moment, you can usually find us exploring the vast wilderness of Tamriel, or fighting off a new Covenant threat on some distant planet. Gaming is a fantastic way to escape the more mundane aspects of life, and you get to do it all from the comfort of your own living room. It’s not only the games that make my free time so enjoyable, I’ve met some truly fantastic people while off on my virtual adventures - without them, everyday life would be a lot less fun!
 
5. Who is one person you’d love to switch places with for 24 hours and why?
 
I love the British Royal Family! If I could switch places with anyone for 24 hours, it would definitely be the Queen! I wouldn’t have the stress of running the country – the Prime Minister would see to that – but I’d get to visit loads of fantastic places and take part in loads of charity events. The Queen recently visited my work and I had a huge fan-girl moment!
 
6. If you could have one ‘do-over’ in your life, what would it be?
 
I often discuss this idea with my partner. We always wonder what would have happened if certain events in our life did or didn’t occur. What would have happened if he didn’t work for Camp America? What would have happened if I didn’t choose a Chemistry degree? We met each other through an online dating website after we’d both finished terrible relationships with other people. What if either of us had stuck at those relationships for a bit longer? We live our lives based on the mantra of ‘everything happens for a reason,’ therefore I would never accept any form of ‘do-over.’
 
7. What’s one “fun fact” about you?
 
I am published in a scientific journal! In a little corner of Organometallics, you can find a piece of work I did with pyrophoric materials during my master’s year, but that’s a discussion for another day…
 
8. What’s one thing guaranteed to make you smile, every single time?
 
The stupid jokes you get in Christmas crackers! Even though the jokes are ridiculous, they are the only things simple enough for me to get straight away…
 
Hey, what do you call a fish with no eyes?
 
     - A fsh!!! 
 
Pahahahaha!!
 
9. If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be and why?
 
I think I’m perfectly OK with living where I am, although perhaps with a bigger house and better transport links. We don’t live near any volcanoes or fault lines. We don’t live in a flood or tornado zone. We hardly ever get snowed in and there are no poisonous animals (to my knowledge). All in all, central Scotland is a pretty decent place to live!
 
10. What’s your favourite room in your house and why?
 
Hmm tricky, I don’t really have a favourite room. I suppose I could say any room where I can sit still for long enough after a busy day at work/looking after the kids!
 
My nominees
 
I’ve included a variety of different blogs in the following list, although choosing people to nominate for this award was much more difficult than I thought it would be. I wasn’t sure if this award was for new bloggers or not, so I’ve included a mix. For those of you I’ve listed, please don’t feel obligated to take part, I only wanted you to know how much I enjoy reading your blogs and to give you some credit! :)
 
 
Questions for my nominees
 
1. How long have you been blogging for and what made you start in the first place?
2. What is your all time most popular post and your thoughts on why?
3. Have you ever been to any blogging events? How did you learn about them?
4. As this is New Year’s Eve, any resolutions for 2016?
5. What is your favourite childhood memory?
6. Do you have any crazy habits that make other’s think you are weird?
7. Where is the strangest place you have ever been?
8. Have you ever met a celebrity?
9. What are you currently watching on TV?
10. Finally, if you could give any advice to a younger version of yourself, what would it be?
 
Hope you guys have fun, can’t wait to read your posts!
 
Follow my blog with Bloglovin

Photo Credit - Queering Through Life
SHARE:

12 comments

  1. I loved reading this and getting to know you a little bit better. Thanks so much for taking part! One of the things I love most about your little corner of the internet is the way you show that being a young mother isn't always the negative stereotype it's made out to be. I wish you and your family all the best, and happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks so much! I've always tried to prove that I can achieve things, just like everyone else. Thanks so much for taking the time to read the blog, hope you and your family have a fantastic 2016!

      Delete
  2. Great post and congratulations! I love that we now know a little more about you and fsh jokes such a classic haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thanks! I have plenty more jokes where that came from! :)

      Delete
  3. Well done Elanor on both the nomination and another great blog entry keep it up and Happy New Year :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations, I got my first award in a similar way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love awards and tags. It's great to get to know new bloggers and share other bloggers. I'd love to be the Queen for the day too. I'd make a mess of things then go back to being me haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, this was one of the more fun posts to write, I think I try to be too serious normally, so it was great to answer these fun questions! :)

      Delete
  6. These type of posts are a great way to find out more about fellow bloggers. I love the fact that you would want to trade places with the Queen - it would be great to wander around the palace for a day nosing in all those rooms. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm quite nosey normally as it is, I'd love to see how the other half live! :)

      Delete

© Tiggy Poes and Flutterbys. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig